5 Key tips to avoid overloading your socket and extension leads at home

Are you aware of the hazardous impact overloading your sockets or extension leads can cause? Know that if you use sockets and extension leads too much that you overload them, there might be a risk of you getting caught in a fire. Perhaps, you should always consider following all the precautions to avoid getting stuck into any such problematic situation.

Image result for extension leads

Also, always possess an electrical safety certificate from your landlord so that you are sure that your property is protected from such accidents. Given below are some useful tips that you must consider while using r4 sockets and extension leads at home:

  • Have knowledge about the Total Current Rating and Wattage of the Plugged-in Appliances

It is mandatory to learn about all the total current rating and wattage of the appliances you want to plug into your socket. It will ensure that you do not exceed the total current rating and wattage of the extension lead as it is to be maintained at 3000W. Not only this, if the appliances surpass this peak value, there is a fair chance of overheating the socket or extension leads paving way for fire intrusion.

  • Look for the Current Rating of the Extension Lead

Always be sure that you are aware of the current rating of the extension lead that you would be putting into use. Mostly leads have a rating of 13A or less and make sure you know about it before plugging any of your appliances into it.

  • One Extension Lead Per Socket is necessary

Understand that you don’t want to risk your life by putting more than one extension lead to a socket. It is not only a way to overload the wall socket and extension lead but also a bizarre way to invite death at your home. There, it is advised to put only one extension lead per socket.

  • Watch out for red flags

There are several warning signs that indicate the upcoming disaster and if handled on time, can prevent a serious threat. Some of these include:

  1. Burning smell of a plastic near the socket or the electrical appliance
  2. Malfunctioning fuses or circuit breakers that previously worked fine
  3. Smoke or sparks emitted by the socket or the appliance
  4. Appliance coverings or cords have molten plastic shields
  5. Worn out or frayed leads
  6. You can notice the colored wire inside the cords
  7. Scorch marks around the socket or the appliance
  • Using Block adapter is forbidden

You must make use of a Multiway bar extension lead that is comparatively safer to use than the block adapters owing to the presence of fuse with them and are highly recommended by the electricians as well. Using block adapters will only elevate the risk of fire that may arise if overloading of the appliances, extension lead and the socket takes place, without giving any indication due to the absence of fuses with them.

Related posts

Leave a Comment